Monday, April 7, 2014

Jiu Jitsu King

So Garrick decided to take a Jiu Jitsu class this semester, which he has loved. The coach that teaches his class is the same one that teaches at BYU (I took a couple of self-defense classes from him before I dropped it-small world) Anyway because he teaches both he has all of his students come together every semester to compete in a tournament. That tournament was this last Friday, I didn't want to pay $10 to get in so I volunteered instead-I was really excited to see Garrick in action! As a volunteer I was the bracket manager for his bracket which was convenient but also kinda lame since I didn't really get to see him for the first two rounds. Fortunately Garrick made it to the final round and I was able to capture his final win.
The kid placed first! He's a beast. The entire experience was super intense, watching girls attack girls then watching boys beat up boys- it was all crazy and there were EMT's close by at all times. But I'm so proud of Garrick, he was super nervous before starting (which I rarely see) and he went out and dominated everyone. He literally destroyed everyone, no one lasted more than a couple minutes with him. (other matches between boys in his bracket went on for 10-20 minutes) Garrick got them down in less than 5 minutes each, he barely broke a sweat. Yeah he's a Jiu Jitsu King. And I'm his adoring fan. 
                                                                 photo jamie.jpg

No comments: