Tuesday, July 14, 2015

The Marine Corps

 
Garrick was gone for a couple weeks in June for his LAST military training. He was in Twentynine Palms, CA and had spotty cellphone service the entire time. I was very happy to have him come home. This is the third summer he's done this while we've been married and it doesn't get any easier. This last time dragged on forever, I was so ready to have him home for good. While it was hard for me to have him away, Garrick did awesome during his training! He got a huge award at the end of the training for his leadership and combat skills. He received a plaque and a medal to put on his uniform. Everyone was congratulating him during the family picnic, it was pretty neat to see the respect he everyone gave him.
It's easy for me to forget that he has experienced so much in the military since I've only known him for a small part of that time. So whenever I'm around other marines I get to see this completely different side of him. In this environment he changes modes and becomes Sergeant Gaffney.
Garrick has loved his time in the military and it was a really hard decision for him to be done and move on. As I'm writing this Garrick is at the base turning in all his gear, checking out for good. It's so weird to think that this won't be a part of our lives anymore. I know Garrick will miss this, it has played such a vital role in the man that he has become. I'm so grateful that I've been able to experience a small part of it with him. I have grown so much respect and awe of the men, women, and families that sacrifice for our country. I'm grateful that Garrick has served our country and now has the most patriotism of anyone I know! I'm glad our kids will be raised in a home where their dad served and loves this country!

I was able to visit him on the base because of the family picnic. It was my last time ever going on the base since his contract is up so I made sure to get some pictures of him. 
 photo jamie.jpg




No comments: